Thursday, December 20, 2012

Gluten Free Living

I recently had a conversation with my doctor about my poor memory.  As a single mom I often find myself juggling many balls. So I know that part of my difficulty remembering things is because I often spread myself thin. Still, it bothers me when I can't remember what I ate for dinner the night before or a conversation that I had with a friend.  My doctor suggested I try a Gluten Free Diet.  Apparently there are a number of benefits of following a GF diet.  I had read about the benefits of a GF diet in several health magazines but never gave it much thought because I don't suffer from Celiac Disorder.  What I did not know was that reducing you gluten intake could actually improve my  memory.  With nothing to loose I decided to give it a try. Well its been 3 weeks since I started eating GF and wow can I see a difference.  I literally feel as though a fog has been lifted.  The funny thing is that I did not know I was in a fog until I removed gluten from my diet.  At work I find I am more alert.  At home I have found myself actually being able to participate in conversations and retrieve information I know I would not have been able to before.  What's funny is now that I am transitioning to a GF diet I am finding GF products everywhere I go.  This is what I found today.  Gluten free spaghetti sauce.  Who knew? I can't wait to try it with my GF spaghetti. What's ever more exciting in the process of this transition I have lost 13 lbs and gained a burst of energy.